Thursday, May 6, 2010

Salmon & Rice

I am trying to serve seafood meals 3 times a week. I confess some nights it is fish sticks and macaroni and cheese, but at least it is seafood. This was supper last night and I know I have promised the rice recipe, so here goes...

I have been making rice this way for nearly 40 years. It is the way my Mom taught me and I love it. It produces a soft rice and is great when you microwave leftovers. I have a heavy waterless stainless steel pot with a well fitting lid that I always use for my rice.

Note: When I write recipes, a C. stands for cup, T. for tablespoon and t. for teaspoon.

Rice:
In the pot, you put:
1 C. long grain white rice
2 C. water
1 t. salt
1 t. oil (I use olive oil)
1 t. lemon or lime juice. I usually buy limes - they are more acidic I think and I love the taste and color.

Bring these 5 ingredients up to a boil and reduce heat, simmering on very low for 14 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit a few minutes until all the water is absorbed. Spoon into a serving bowl.

Now for the salmon. Wild caught salmon is supposed to be the best and I get mine at Aldi's. It is the Sea Queen brand and there are 4 individually wrapped frozen fillets in a 16 oz package. Aldi's is a fantastic grocery store with amazing fresh produce, great cereals, large eggs and all at really low prices. Their make -up is wonderful too.

While your rice is cooking, get busy with the salmon. This recipe came from a woman named Pearl in Seattle and we have used it for many years. Make sure you thaw your fillets first if you are using frozen ones. You can also broil the salmon in the oven using this sauce as I did last night. My thin fillets took 4 minutes on each side with the broiler on high.

Salmon:

1 stick butter, 2 t. dry mustard
1T. ketchup, garlic powder to taste
¼ C. soy sauce

Melt all together (I use a 1 C. measuring cup in the microwave).
Place salmon on wire rack flesh side down on charcoal fire 5 min. until flesh
is sealed. Flip from rack onto barbecue rack and
spread with sauce. Broil 10 to 15 min. longer.
Do not overcook.
Note: I usually make ½ recipe for a nice slab of salmon.

You can serve the extra sauce at the table for drizzling on the rice or salmon. Add a green vegetable and you are good to go.

I hope you enjoy this easy salmon meal.

Simply,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment