Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lazy Daisy Cake

Last week I found a gallon of whole milk in the garage frig that had already expired and I had forgotten I had it. It was organic milk and for some reason that seems to keep from going sour longer than non organic. If you know why this is, drop me a line. Since I don't waste anything, I headed to my recipe box along with encouraging everyone to drink this precious milk before it spoiled. I was planning on making my Aunt Lyn's Eggless Spice Cake which calls for 1 cup of sour milk, but since the milk wasn't sour and I had plenty of eggs I went with another all time favorite cake. This recipe from my mother-in-law calls for 4 eggs and 1 cup of non-sour milk. If you like coconut and want an easy summer cake with frosting broiled right on - this one is for you.

Lazy Daisy Cake (sometimes called Hot Milk Cake)

4 eggs, ½ t. salt
2 C. sugar, 1 C. hot milk
2C. flour, 2 t. butter
2 t. baking powder, 1 t. vanilla

Frosting – below (to be made while cake is baking)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat eggs until thick and lemon colored (5 min.). Add sugar gradually, beating constantly. Sift together flour, baking powder, & salt. Add to egg mix. Heat milk and butter to boiling point (I do this in a glass measuring cup in the microwave). Add all at once to flour & egg, beat well (batter is thin). Pour into greased 9 X 13 pan. Bake 35 min..

Frosting

1 stick butter, 1C. brown sugar
1/3 C. cream or milk, 1 ¼ C. coconut

Combine all ingredients. Put frosting on baked cake as soon as it is taken out of the oven and broil cake for 3-5 min, until golden brown.

This cake seems to get better and better as the days go by like carrot cake does. Tomorrow I've got to get busy and bake Aunt Lyn's cake as I am almost out of eggs and yes, the milk is definitely sour now!

Simply,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment