Sunday, May 2, 2010

Easy Dessert

When cooking meals, I usually make a meat or fish, a vegetable, something starchy like bread, rice or potatoes AND a dessert. I know this is old fashioned, but I have always been very old fashioned. As a girl this felt a little awkward, but now that I am old enough to be a senior citizen, at least at some grocery stores, it suits me a little better. You will have to forgive me for not always being politically correct or "with it" because of this character trait.

I know desserts are not good for you, but I must confess I am addicted and I promise to count the points on my Weight Watcher Food Tracker list. Here is a great treat that I decided on for tonight - it doesn't need baking.

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BARS

1/2 C. light corn syrup, 1 t. vanilla
1/4 C. brown sugar, 3 c. rice crispies
1/8 t. salt
1 C. peanut butter, 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips


Combine syrup, sugar and salt in large glass bowl. Bring to full boil in microwave, about 2-3 min. Remove from microwave, stir in peanut butter, vanilla, cereal and chocolate chips. Press into buttered 9 X 13” pan. Chill about 1 hour.
Cut into small bars. Yield: 1 1/2 Pounds.

I don't ever use plastic in the microwave even if it says you can. I also heard never to even store oily or greasy things in plastic because plastic will leach into the food. Use your own judgement there, but I love to store things in wide mouth glass canning jars or jelly jars. It's easy to see what's in them.

One last thing, when talking about simplicity; I have to mention that if you ever take up knitting - I suggest you learn the Continental method (it's so much easier). I will teach it to you someday complete with pictures or a video to follow. If you have learned the European method, I'm sorry I won't be able to help you with your project, but don't try to change because I think that would be very difficult (I could never switch).

Simply,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment